A historic marker located near Springfield in Clark County, Ohio marks the site of the Asbury Methodist Church, which served as the headquarters of the Methodist Church between 1840 and 1907. This merger was due to the fact that Methodism had its roots in the Church of England, a denomination from which none of the Wesley brothers had separated. Some Methodist scholars and historians, such as Rupert E. Atwood, have discussed the call for autonomy of United Methodist Church groups in the Philippines at several conferences led mostly by Episcopal candidates. William Turton (1761-181), son of a Barbadian planter, met John Baxter in Antigua and, as a layman, he helped with Methodist work in the Swedish colony of St. Bartholomew.
In 1785, Turton was ordained as a minister by John Wesley. Like many small rural congregations, the Asbury Methodist Church probably disbanded when cars became available and the Woodland Christian Church was formed in 1913. In addition to the United Methodist Church, there are more than 40 other denominations that trace their origins to John Wesley's Methodist movement. The British Methodist Church has a less formal or liturgical cult, but it uses the Methodist Book of Worship (similar to the Common Worship of the Church of England), which contains worship services (liturgies) and rubrics for celebrating other rites, such as marriage. Disputes over slavery caused difficulties for the church during the first half of the 19th century, as northern church leaders feared a split with the South and were reluctant to take a stance. In 1893, missionaries from the Primitive Methodist Church arrived from Fernando Po, an island located off Nigeria's southern coast. The influence of Whitefield and Lady Huntingdon on the Church of England contributed to the founding of the Free Church of England in 1844. In 1784, John Wesley ordained preachers for Scotland, England, and the United States with authority to administer sacraments (this was one of the main reasons why Methodism was permanently separated from the Church of England after Wesley's death).Martin Snoey, historian of Camas Christian Church, believes that Washougal was the first congregation of Christian churches in Twin Cities area and that several members actually came from Camas.
This congregation, also located in Clark County and affiliated with Disciples of Christ, was established in 1911 with 15 people. Methodism was also hindered by its unique church structure (connectionalism), which was more centralized than hierarchical system of government used by Lutheran and Reformed churches. From there, Methodism spread to other parts of country east of Niger River and also to parts of north. So what is the size of the Methodist Church in Clark County? The answer is not straightforward as it depends on which denomination you are referring to. The Asbury Methodist Church served as headquarters for Methodism between 1840 and 1907 but disbanded when cars became available. There are more than 40 other denominations that trace their origins to John Wesley's movement and many small rural congregations have since been formed.
The influence of Whitefield and Lady Huntingdon on the Church of England also contributed to its growth. The Primitive Methodist Church arrived from Fernando Po in 1893 and there are now several congregations affiliated with Disciples of Christ located in Clark County. Overall, it is difficult to determine an exact size for the Methodist Church in Clark County due to its diverse history and multiple denominations. However, it is clear that Methodism has had a significant impact on this region and continues to be an important part of its religious landscape.